Reading Notes: Sita's Story

Reading Notes from Sita's Story in Nine Ideal Indian Women by Sunity Devee

The version of The Ramayana I read ended before Rama's second banishment of Sita and the story of her and her sons. The trials Sita endured and her final words, lacking both in life and trust in her husband, were haunting. Not knowing about Rama's actions after Sita's trial by fire, I want to write an epilogue to my original story. I'm thinking about beginning right where the first story left off, but having those final words of the couple never parting again be another promise broken by the prideful Rama.

I want to stay true the original story, in which Sita asks the Earth to swallow her up and accept her as a mother accepts her child. However, I also want to give Sita a harder voice, one that recognizes Rama's failings instead of only loving him blindly. I'll have to keep pondering how I'll strike that balance, but I know for sure that I will tell this story in the first-person view of Sita.

Many of my stories have been about a couple enduring hardships and choosing to be together despite their shortcomings, but when it comes to Rama's treatment of Sita--making her endure test after test when Sita already proved herself to be a faithful and loving wife--that sentiment ends. Yes, love is a choice that needs to be fought for sometimes, but both people have to be trying to make the relationship work. When one person does not trust their partner, despite mountains of proof in their favor, then that person deserves a better, more trusting love.

(Sita in Exile, Wikimedia Commons)

Comments

Popular Posts