Reading Notes: Promila's Story and Shakuntala's Story

Reading Notes from Promila's Story and Shakuntala's Story in Nine Ideal Indian Women by Sunity Devee

Notes for Promila's Story:

First off, I just want to say wow. What a moving story. The love that Indrajit and Promila shared was so beautiful, so trusting that I was floored by it. Unlike Rama, who time and time again did not trust Sita, there was no discord between Indrajit and Promila. They truly were soulmates, a couple meant to be together both in life and death. And this version of Promila's story was told so beautifully. I especially love the dialogue between Promila and her husband, always full of love and respect for each other. For this story, I want to pick up the narrative from when Promila ascends the funeral pyre. I want to narrate her last moments on earth and the rising of her soul to God.

Notes for Shakuntala's Story:

For anyone who has read my Storybook Project, The Apsara Tales, the name Shakuntala might sound familiar. She is the daughter of Menaka the apsara and Vishwamitra the sage. In my story, Menaka raises Shakuntala by herself after Vishwamitra banishes her to be separated from him always. The actual legend, however, takes a bitter turn. After Menaka is banished by Vishwamitra, she realizes that she cannot return to heaven with her child. She leaves her child in a tree to ascend back to her place in heaven, and it is from  the tree that a hermit finds and adopts her. I'd like to tell this story in line with the actual tale, and plan on narrating Shakuntala's feelings about her marriage to Dushmanta and how his abandonment of her reminds her of her parents' actions. I think I'll tackle such a heavy load of emotions during Shakuntala's invocation to her mother.

(Shakuntala looking back for Dushmanta, Wikimedia Commons)

Comments

Popular Posts